Though 10.10 is no longer supported, I've got the same issue in 12.04
and Gnome Shell.

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  Rhythmbox Play/Pause button not working correctly

Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: rhythmbox

  Ubuntu 10.10 32bit standard live CD used to install system on a Dell
  Studio Laptop 1555.

  Rhythmbox Play/Pause button not working correctly, in both "mini" (from main
Gnome bar sound icon) and main Rhythmbox GUI window, and with laptop hot-key
  Play/pause, worked correctly in Totem Movie Player (v2.32.0), both the button
in the Totem GUI and the laptop play/pause hot-key.

  If you open Rhythmbox, and select a track. You can start the track
  playing using one of the play buttons, main/mini/hotkey, but after
  that pressing any one of the play/pause buttons does not pause the
  track. If you quit from the Rhythmbox you can then repeat (ie start a
  track using one of the play buttons).

  Note that pressing the "pause" icon in the GUI causes the button to change to
a "Play" button, but the track continues playing. If the "Play" button is now
pressed nothing changes, ie it remains as a "Play" button.
  If you quit from Rhythmbox, re-start Rhythmbox, this behaviour can be
repeated. The same is seen if you press the "mini" player "Pause" icon once a
track is playing.

  Suspect (guess) that this issue started after installing the "unity"
(netbook) window manager? I cannot be sure as I have also installed the various
updates that have been available. The issue above is occuring with the standard
Gnome window manager. The same behaviour also occurs if I use the netbook
window manager.
  To confirm that the play/pause buttons had worked previously booted up using
standard Gnome 10.10 32bit live CD. Rhythmbox play/pause and laptop hotkey
buttons worked corrected.

  Other buttons (ie the previous and next track) work correctly both in
  the main GUI, mini player, and using the laptop hotkeys.

  $ apt-cache policy rhythmbox
  rhythmbox:
    Installed: 0.13.1-0ubuntu6
    Candidate: 0.13.1-0ubuntu6
    Version table:
   *** 0.13.1-0ubuntu6 0
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates/main i386
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       0.13.1-0ubuntu5 0
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main i386 Packages

  Package: rhythmbox 0.13.1-0ubuntu6
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-24.42-generic-pae 2.6.35.8
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-24-generic-pae i686
  Architecture: i386