When lightdm starts after rebooting or switching on, I'm greeted with
the login which is mirrored on both of my displays and the primary
monitor resolution is reduced from widescreen to a 4:3 resolution. If I
replug the external monitor, the display is no longer mirrored and the
correct resolution is displayed on the primary monitor. I also get the
Ubuntu logo in the centre of the external display of which I assume is
the correct behaviour. This is on a Lenovo G570 notebook.

$ sudo lspci -vv
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core
Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA
controller])
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3975
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
<MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 41
        Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Region 2: Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Region 4: I/O ports at 3000 [size=64]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
                Address: fee0c00c  Data: 4161
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
                AFCap: TP+ FLR+
                AFCtrl: FLR-
                AFStatus: TP-
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915

 $ lsb_release -rd
Release:        12.04

$ apt-cache policy lightdm
lightdm:
  Installed: 1.1.8-0ubuntu1
  Candidate: 1.1.8-0ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 1.1.8-0ubuntu1 0
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

** Affects: unity-greeter

** Affects: gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu)

** Affects: gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu Precise)

--
Multi monitor mirrored instead of using primary/selected monitor
Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.