in Ubuntu 12.4 I have tree Desktops: Unity, Unity 2D and KDE
After I logout from Unity I can not log in again properly. The launcher and the
upper bar appears but all the staff that should appear at the right side of the
upper bar (bluetooth, wifi, sound, clock...) does not appear. I am not able for
sending a bug report from the system because I am not able to run the launcher
in that situation. I have made few checks:

Switch on the computer and go directly to Unity works
Switch on the computer and go directly to Unity, logout and login into Unity
DOES NOT WORKS
Switch on the computer and go directly to Unity, logout and login into Unity 2D
 works
Switch on the computer and go directly to Unity, logout and login into Unity 2D
 logout and login into Unity DOES NOT WORKS
Switch on the computer and go directly to Unity, logout and login into KDE
works
Switch on the computer and go directly to Unity, logout and login into KDE
logout and login into Unity DOES NOT WORKS

Switch on the computer and go directly to Unity 2D works
Switch on the computer and go directly to Unity 2D, logout and login into Unity
works
Switch on the computer and go directly to Unity 2D, logout and login into KDE
works

I hope it can help you

** Affects: unity (Ubuntu)

Logout-Login issue
Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.