Clark Everetts:

Thank you for posting your work-around. I have just tested it with my
WMF files. Unfortunately, as Libre Office crops larger WMF files, the
"saved-as" pictures are also cropped, and I have no way around that. For
me, the only work-around remains either running 10.04 in a virtual
machine or booting into Windows.

I clearly hear what you say about working to a deadline, as that affects
me every month!

You say you may have an inkling of the problem. I am crossing my fingers
that you do find the problem -- good luck!

As this bug affects you, please vote for it (click on the green writing
at the top-left of this page.)

Packages, which is subscribed to gimp in Ubuntu.

  Regresson: Unable to import WMF images into GIMP, or convert them
  using wmf2xxx

Status in “gimp” package in Ubuntu:

  I have put the package on this bug as GIMP, but seeing the range of
  problems (described below), it is probably something else.

  SUMMARY:

  1. In Lucid 10.04, GIMP would flawlessly import WMF files.

  2. Starting Maverick 10.10, it would not work.

  3. There was, at least, a work-around, in that the tools wmf2xxx could
  convert the files into a different format (e.g. EPS), which GIMP could
  import.

  4. But with Precise 12.04, even that work-around fails.

  MORE INFORMATION:

  * When trying to open a file with GIMP, GIMP incorrectly recognises
  the WMF dimensions as having dimensions of -1x-1 (see attached screen-
  shot), and having negative X and Y ratios. GIMP will allow you to
  correct the width and height, but not the resolution, making importing
  impossible.

  * wmf2xxx fails with error code 1 but no error message.

  * convert (from ImageMagick) fails with error code 1 and the message:
  failed to scan file `t2.wmf' @ error/wmf.c/ReadWMFImage/186.

  * Surprisingly, Libre Office Writer and Draw are able to import WMF
  files. Unfortunately, Libre Office crops the images, so that they
  anyway cannot be used.

  This regression has been hanging around for 19 months, and really
  needs fixing. The only remaining work-around is to either boot into
  Windows or run 10.04 in a virtual machine, neither of which is an
  acceptable solution.

  Package: gimp 2.6.12-1ubuntu1