Please attach a sample file which it is not possible to open.

** Changed in: libreoffice (Ubuntu)

  writer will not read some files.

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  I recently ugraded from ubuntu 11.04 to ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Now some files
written with writer previously will no longer open.
  If I use writer (old version) with windows 7 I can open the files, so they
are not corrupt. If I now use save as and save them in doc format I can
openthem perfectly well when I go back the upgraded version in ubuntu 12.04 LTS.