Ok, now that I've finally figured out how exactly lightdm works in this
regard, I've pushed my changes to lp:~lotheac/lightdm/utmpx.

At first, I was trying to check for XDG_SESSION_CLASS_USER, but it seems
that is never set. The authentication session (which talks to the
greeter) has no class,  and that same session is used to start the
user's process (hence it needs PAM very much). If authentication fails,
the authentication session is restarted. I just check if we're a greeter
after authentication, and if so, skip pam_{open,close}_session and write
the utmpx entry.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Lightdm logins not being logged in wtmp

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Confirmed
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “lightdm” source package in Oneiric:
  Confirmed
Status in “lightdm” source package in Precise:

  When logged into a graphical session, I get no acknowledgement from
  who, w or last that I am logged in:

  $ who
  $ w
  16:48:14 up 1 day,  1:08,  0 users,  load average: 0.68, 0.83, 0.84
  USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT

  last only reports tty logins, not graphical logins.

  Package: lightdm 1.0.1-0ubuntu6
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-12.19-generic-pae 3.0.4
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-12-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Fri Oct  7 16:47:23 2011
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Beta i386 (20110921.3)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_CA:en
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_CA.UTF-8