I'm seeing something similar -- general slow performance which both top
(100%+ on a dual core system) and iotop (high disk usage rates) trace
back to gwibber-service, even when I haven't opened gwibber yet during
the session). This is on an uptodate ubuntu precise.  Happy to provide
more info if needed.  Thanks, matt

Packages, which is subscribed to gwibber in Ubuntu.

  Using some glib functions within multiprocessing from a threaded app
  sometimes causes 100% CPU utilization

Status in “desktopcouch” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “gwibber” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “libgnome-keyring” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “desktopcouch” source package in Lucid:
  Invalid
Status in “gwibber” source package in Lucid:
  Fix Released
Status in “libgnome-keyring” source package in Lucid:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  1. set up Gwibber accounts with passwords stored in the keyring
  2. restart your computer
  3. wait for gwibber to autostart

  Eventually gwibber-service will hit 100% CPU utilization.
  desktopcouch-service also sometimes suffers from this.

  More details to be added soon.

  Package: libgnome-keyring0 2.30.0-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-18.27-generic 2.6.32.10+drm33.1
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-18-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Fri Apr  2 08:02:03 2010
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release i386 (20091028.5)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: libgnome-keyring