If anyone can let me know how I can debug shutdown messages it would certainly
help me provide more information.

Uninstalling network-manager is not an option as it creates an
excessivly long bootup process and it doesn't leave me confident with
the time for shutdown with it removed.

Even if I install wicd or just manually setup the network interface the
boot process is still slower compared to when network-manager is
installed and configured correctly.

  Killing all remaining processes [fail]

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi I am running a clean install of Precise 12.04

  When shutting down I get a delay of anywhere between 3 to 5 seconds at

  Requesting remaining processes to terminate [OK]

  Then a quick succession of:

  Killing all remaining processes [fail]

  and the rest of the shutdown messages are OK and then it reboots.

  I think this is related to network-manager 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3 package...

  Why? If I upgrade the package to 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu4 I get the same
  delays and an error:

  nm-dispatcher.action caught signal 15 shutting down

  This appears right after the killing all process fails.

  If I upgrade to 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu4.1 it breaks networking completely,
  and I have to enter manual settings in /etc/network/interfaces to
  restore my connection.

  So I think this delay in the shut down process is related to network-
  manager 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3 package and it just doesn't show the error
  message on screen.

  Another reason that leads me to think so, is if I don't log on my
  session (which means nm-applet etc doesn't get loaded) and restart the
  computer from the lightdm login page the shutdown takes about 1 to 2
  seconds to complete, which is what I expect for a normal shutdown
  process (at least in previous versions of ubuntu that was the case)