Public bug reported:

It is very confusing that the gnome-sound-applet is not part of the
"GNOME classic" experience. It has much the look and feel of GNOME 2.x
-- except the sound applet is gone. Why? If nm-applet was taken away,
what then? You see my point?

A number of people in a potential position to help skirted this problem,
here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/526796 . To
their half-credit, sure, they're right, maybe it isn't a problem with
the implicated packages in that bug filing.

Am I wrong though? This is a problem. I'd call it a bug. What package
will fix it? This one? Some other one?

** Affects: gnome-panel (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-panel in Ubuntu.

  gnome-sound-applet should be a dependency to gnome-panel

Status in “gnome-panel” package in Ubuntu: