Using a startup file with "empathy -h" does not always correct this. I'm
running "empathy -h" from a startup file and the correct status is not
reflected in the messaging indicator. If I run "empathy -h" manually
after logging in the indicator is showing the correct status. It would
seem that running it from startup seems to work at random depending on
if the indicator is ready or not when empathy is run.

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  No way to set empathy to automatically start on login

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  i have selected from the preference that auto-start on login but empathy does
not start on start on login.
  ubuntu 12.04

  Package: empathy 3.3.5-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-17-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 1.93-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Sun Feb 26 19:48:09 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Alpha i386 (20111211)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: empathy
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-01-27 (29 days ago)