Dean's post above did fix this stupid issue for me on Ubuntu. The
global-messages-db.sqlite is located in ~/.thunderbird/[accountfolder]
where [accountfolder] for me is some hashed string followed by
".default". I quit Thunderbird, deleted that file (making a copy in
case), and restarted Thunderbird. Everything works now.

The post Dean linked to also says to make sure that
Edit->Preferences->Advanced->General->Enable Global Search and Indexer
is ticked (it was for me).

Thanks Dean!

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  12.0.1 Thunderbird upgrade broke Search

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS

  Thunderbird
  12.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.10.04.1

  The previous version worked fine.  When I type something into the
  search bar, instead of seeing a new tab open with a list of results
  and their context, an empty tab with no name appears.

  Error Console output:

  Timestamp: 11/05/12 10:31:23
  Error: aOldTab._ext.glodaSearchBox is undefined
  Source File: chrome://messenger/content/searchBar.js
  Line: 99

  Timestamp: 11/05/12 10:31:23
  Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code:
0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIObserverService.removeObserver]"  nsresult:
"0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame ::
chrome://messenger/content/search.xml ::  :: line 156"  data: no]

  I know that I can use the traditional-style Filter Query search which
  doesn't open a new tab and just shows the relevant messages in the old
  style, but I want the new Thunderbird type of search, just spent a
  month learning how to use it.

  Also the Threadvis plugin is not working either, although Thunderbrowse does.

  Seems like the index of messages is broken or not accessible, probably
  something needs to change in the references javascript or xml files.