Hi Simon!

I've been working on a fix for your problem, that we're considering
releasing as an 12.04. Can you test it first to make sure it resolves
your problem?

(It won't give you any "Off" profiles, but the rest of the profiles
should be selectable)

I'm assuming you're running a 64 bit system. Please install the attached
.so file the same way Conor suggested earlier:

sudo cp libsoundnua.so /usr/lib/control-center-1/panels/

You might want to back the original up first so you can restore it in
case something is not working as expected with the new .so.

Thanks in advance!

** Attachment added: "libsoundnua.so"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/972554/+attachment/3170665/+files/libsoundnua.so

  [soundnua]: new capplet does not expose the sound card profile
  selection

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  With Ubuntu < 12.04, the Sound menu allows to select various profiles
  for each sound cards via drop down list in the Hardware tab. I
  couldn't find this feature in the latest daily-live image of Ubuntu
  12.04 (from April 1st).

  I'd appreciate if someone would kindly point me where to change this ?

  Thanks in advance