Hi,

I have a Lenovo 3000 N200 laptop which uses a Nvidia Geforce Go 7300
graphics chip.

I noticed this issue in Lubuntu 11.10 with the Nvidia binary driver and
also after booting a Xubuntu 12.04 CD (using the Nouveau driver there I
think). As far as I can remember, this issue wasn't present with either
Ubuntu 8.04 or Xubuntu 9.10.

The laptop has 8 possible backlight brightness settings. At the desktop,
increasing or decreasing brightness (by pressing Fn-F10 or Fn-F11)
causes the brightness to increase or decrease by 2 steps instead of 1.
However, in text mode -- after switching with Ctrl-Alt-F1 -- changing
brightness works as it should, in single steps.

I noticed that the page
http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/434638-linux-acer-1410-1810tz-1810t.html
mentions a fix for a similar issue with Acer laptops. That fix adds a line to
/etc/rc.local:
  echo N > /sys/module/video/parameters/brightness_switch_enabled

Applying that to my laptop fixed the screen brightness double-stepping
at the desktop, so now changing brightness works as it should. However
after doing that, the brightness cannot be changed at all when in text
mode.

** Affects: gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bot-comment
--
Laptop backlight brightness increases/decreases 2 steps each time
Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.