system settings is gnome-control-center, though it's just uis to set do
configuration, gnome-control-center is not running at boot nor setting
any screen resolution if you don't start the ui and act on  the control
so not likely the issue there

Could you try to boot the previous kernel and see if you still get the
issue?

** Package changed: lightdm (Ubuntu) => gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

  hdmi video out broken on package upgrade

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  I have two external monitors, one running through the vga out port and
  the other the hdmi out port and both were working fine in a dual head
  configuration until a recent package upgrade. Now only the vga out
  works and in the dispaly manager the hdmi connected monitor does not
  appear.

  I have another open bug about triple head not working here:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-
  ati/+bug/931240 (laptop monitor won't work in tandem with two external
  monitors) but this is the first time for my hdmi out to go dead.

  I've tried creating a new account to see if it was user specific
  settings creating the problem, but a new user account exhibits the
  same behavior.

  I would like to know which package upgrade I need to reverse in order
  to get my workstation back to full functionality.

  Package: lightdm 1.0.6-0ubuntu1.7
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64