I observe the same situation after upgrading from 11.10 to 12.04.
NetworkManager is not in the list of processes after boot and executing
"sudo NetworkManager" fixes the defect.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  NetworkManager is not running

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: network-manager

  Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
  On a regular Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (freshly installed), one has in the taskbar an
icon representing 2 thick arrows up and down,

  On my portable, where Ubuntu 10.04LTS is present, but two months ago upgraded
from 9.04, I have only an icon representing
  a wave with a red exclamation mark. With the mouse pointer on it, it shows in
a balloon text: Networking disabled.
  Clicking on it, shows a balloon text with 'Network Manager not running
  $ sudo service network-manager status
  says:  network-manager stop/waiting
  $ sudo service network-manager start
  says: network-manager, start/running, process 1981
  but nothing is changed (still Networking disabled, NetworkManager not running
as above)
  $ sudo service network-manager status
  says again: network-manager stop/waiting

  I can right click the icon and choose Edit connections ans change e.g. Method
and set other IP settings, but this
  is not recorded (because NetworkManager is not running?)

  I had a manually edited /etc/network/interfaces in the past.

  I was advised to try putting in /etc/network/interfaces only
  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback
  auto eth0

  which I did and rebooted, but
  this was even worse: could not connect anymore to the internet AT ALL.

  Just to be able to write this bug report, I had to manually edit my
/etc/network/interfaces again to
  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback
  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

  and reboot
  then a got a DHCP assigned IP again from our DHCP server over the local LAN

  I believe already in 9.04, I had 'NetworkManager not running' and not the
normal icon in the taskbar (can't
  remember exactly how that icon looked, things in Ubuntu change all the time
with every new upgrade (sigh) ...)

  Package: network-manager 0.8-0ubuntu3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-25.44-generic 2.6.32.21+drm33.7
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-25-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  Date: Wed Oct 20 10:23:06 2010
  IpRoute:
   143.129.75.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 143.129.75.178
   169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0  scope link  metric 1000
   default via 143.129.75.254 dev eth0  metric 100
  Keyfiles: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: network-manager