NM no longer touches /etc/hosts.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  upgrade to karmic trashed /etc/hosts

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  I just upgraded today to karmic by running 'update-manager -d'. After
  the upgrade and reboot finished, my /etc/hosts file was trashed.

  Before the upgrade (yay backups) it said:
  ---------
  127.0.0.1     localhost
  127.0.1.1     ged.localnet    ged

  ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
  fe00::0 ip6-localnet
  ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
  ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
  ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
  ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
  ---------

  After the upgrade, it said:
  ---------
  # Do not remove the following line, or various programs# that require network
functionality will fail.127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
  ---------

  To be clear:
  1) This file contains no newlines (even at the end of the file). It is one
long mangled comment line.
  2) All the usual IPv6 and localnet boilerplate has disappeared. (Maybe that's
intentional? I'm not really sure what it's needed for anyway.)

  WTF?