Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu. Maverick reached EOL(End of Live)
on April 10, 2012
See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

I have checked your issue against Ubuntu12.04 final and Ubuntu12.10
alpha1.

On both the software center shows the information that abinit is an
command line tool and could(only) be started from terminal.

The commands for calling the components are listed.

So, there is no (direct)GUI and with this no icon.

When you look for the exact installation directory use synaptic ->abinit ->
properties -> installed files

Greetings

Hope you still figuring with ubuntu science

** Changed in: software-center (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to software-center in Ubuntu.

  I cannot find  the software 'Abini' which I installed from the Ubuntu
  Software Centre in the Applications menu hence I cannot run it

Status in “software-center” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: software-center

  I installed the programme 'Abinit' from the SoftwareCentre but I am
  unable to run it or even test it because I cannot find it under
  Applications

  Package: software-center 3.0.4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.33-generic 2.6.35.4
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Sun Jan 30 10:40:48 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release i386 (20101007)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash