(the reason it's not built with it is that cheese is in universe)

if it's not working for you with that lib installed could you give
details on the version you are using and the error?

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Empathy Call depends on libcheese, but dependency is not aknowledged
  by package

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  The new Empathy Call interface, which is in Universe and not installed by
default, depends on libcheese-gtk21 (and build depends on libcheese-gtk-dev )
as can be seen by checking the debian packages (debian does not split call into
a separate package):
  http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/empathy
  http://packages.debian.org/source/wheezy/empathy

  And yet, the empathy-call package in Ubuntu does not depend on
  libcheese-gtk21. I'm pretty sure it looks for libcheeses's presence at
  runtime, because the Call interface works - I use it regularly - but
  if you didn't happen to have cheese already installed, and atempted to
  install empathy-cal, it wouldn't pull in the required libraries,
  leaving it non-functional.

  Fix: add libcheese-gtk21 to empathy-call depends.