Apparently, dconf-editor can be used to tweak lower-level power settings
directly (see org->gnome->settings-daemon->plugins->power), but:

1) I haven't confirmed yet that it does, in fact, resolve this particular issue
(suspend on low battery), although some of the other settings have taken effect
2) the "official" power settings dialogue is *extremely* spartan
3) having to use dconf-editor to configure the system is like having to use
regedit to do the same on Windows: it makes no sense

  No suspend option for critical battery state in power settings UI

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  The gnome-control-center power UI offers 2 options for "When power is
  critically low": Hibernate and Power Off. There should be a 'Suspend'
  option as well, for a couple reasons:

  1) Some people (like me) want their computer to suspend when it reaches a
critical low-battery state
  2) We offer 'Suspend' as an option for the lid closed action, so we should
offer it as a critical battery option for consistency

  (Note that neither hibernate nor power off is selected by default in
  the "When power is critically low" combobox  on a fresh install.
  Instead the combobox has no selection at all. This is probably a
  separate bug)

  To reproduce:
  1) Launch the Power settings app
  1a) Observe the "When power is critically low" combobox; nothing is selected
  2) Click the "When power is critically low" combobox

  Expected results:
  Suspend is an option for critical-battery action

  Actual results:
  Suspend is not an option for critical-battery action

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.4.1-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Date: Wed May  2 13:46:02 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Beta amd64 (20100901.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gnome-control-center
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-01-26 (96 days ago)
  usr_lib_gnome-control-center:
   activity-log-manager-control-center 0.9.4-0ubuntu3
   deja-dup                            22.0-0ubuntu2
   gnome-bluetooth                     3.2.2-0ubuntu5
   indicator-datetime                  0.3.94-0ubuntu2