Hi David, we are tracking this issue over at bug 911706, so I will mark
this one as a duplicate of that one. Please follow that report for the
status of a fix for this one. Many thanks for your help!

   USC relies on NM to be online, can't force online if not using NM

Packages, which is subscribed to software-center in Ubuntu.

  Install/Remove Button Disabled when Offline

Status in “software-center” package in Ubuntu:

  Steps to reproduce:
  1. Disconnect from the internet
  2. Try to install a deb package using software-center
  3. Try to remove an installed application

  Expected, as neither of these require internet connection
  2. You can click install on the details page of the DEB and it gets installed
  3. You can remove the application, and it gets removed

  What happens
  2. Install button is disabled, can't install deb
  3. Remove button is disabled, can't remove