I am using my mobile "Nokia 7210 Supernova" as my modem.

  After suspend, or after mobile broadband failure, it is impossible to
  re-connect without physically unplugging cable

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  After suspend or unusual connection loss, the mobile broadband do not
connect, no matter how many times you try.
  Phone connection has to be resetted by uplugging and replugging cable to use
mobile broadband.