Hi WaltSullican, thanks for your report. And Alessandro, thanks for your
comment. Is anybody able to reproduce this error in recent versions of
Software Center?

Please answer these questions:
1. Is this reproducible?
2. If so, what specific steps should we take to recreate this bug? Be as
detailed as possible.
This will help us to find and resolve the problem.

** Changed in: software-center (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to software-center in Ubuntu.

  Authentication fails during password expiry warning period

Status in “software-center” package in Ubuntu:

  I have password aging enabled, and am within the password expiry
  warning period. When I try to install software, I'm prompted for my
  password. When I enter my password, I see a "Your password will expire
  in 4 days" message, and get re-prompted, until authentication fails,
  and I can't install the software. My password should be valid for this
  purpose even with the expiry warning.

  My system is:

  + lsb_release -a
  LSB Version:
core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch
  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      11.10
  Codename:     oneiric
  + dpkg -l software-center
  ||/ Name                          Version                       Description

+++-=============================-=============================-==========================================================================
  ii  software-center               5.0.2                         Utility for
browsing, installing, and removing software
  + apt-cache policy software-center
  software-center:
    Installed: 5.0.2
    Candidate: 5.0.2
    Version table:
   *** 5.0.2 0
          500 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       5.0.1.4 0
          500 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main amd64 Packages
  + chage -l walt
  Last password change                                  : Oct 10, 2011
  Password expires                                      : Nov 10, 2011
  Password inactive                                     : never
  Account expires                                               : never
  Minimum number of days between password change                : 0
  Maximum number of days between password change                : 31
  Number of days of warning before password expires     : 7
  + exit 0
  walt@wombat:~(0)$ date
  Sun Nov  6 02:07:37 EST 2011

  Package: software-center 5.0.2