Thank you, Ilan! I will close this bug based on your comment.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Best regards,
Gary

** Changed in: software-center (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to software-center in Ubuntu.

  software center doesn't recognize package is loaded

Status in “software-center” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I was trying to load software for a Brother printer. The software center told
me the software wasn't of good quality. I looked at the problem and it didn't
have capital letters or something similar. The software had been translated
from rpm to deb and apparently the translation was lacking. Since I needed to
use the printer, I ignored the warning. After the progress bar showed it was
finished, I am used to seeing the button change to "Remove" but it was still at
"Install". I could install it as often as I pleased and it wouldn't change to
"Remove" (probably because it wasn't up to the accepted standards). I used dpkg
-l | grep Brother to verify that the software was indeed installed. Just you
need to fix the button so it knows the substandard software was installed (if I
choose to ignore the warning).
  The link to the software is http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1346570,
use the welcome.solutions.brother link. Ignore the bit about the directory not
being created, as that has already been fixed.
  Thanks,
  Ilan