I think I have managed to get to the bottom of this one, but I think it
might need to remain open depending on whether a few things are true or
not ...

I changed the default theme of Empathy from Classic to the Blue theme
and suddenly everything has started working. If I try to change the
theme to either Ubuntu or Classic (the two themes that I prefer to use),
I get the resultant behaviour that I reported upon creation of the bug
report.

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  empathy does not show contacts and performs very sluggishly

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  I upgraded to 12.10 from 12.04 today and since upgrading, I am unable
  to see my logged in contacts in empathy.

  It is worth noting, that if I look in the accounts menu, all accounts
  are marked as logged in and working. Also, if somebody sends me a
  message, it takes up to 30 seconds for me to be able to actually open
  the chat window.

  I have included a screenshot of both Empathy and Pidgin running
  alongside one another, Pidgin on the top left and Empathy bottom
  right.

  I have also noticed that when I run Empathy, my Gnome menu (chat
  notifications) appear as if they have the Radiance theme rather than
  the Ambiance theme that I have selected. (I think this one may need a
  separate bug report though).

  Package: empathy 3.5.3-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-4.4-generic 3.5.0-rc6
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-4-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.3-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64