I was hit by this on 12.04 with Xfce (not sure if this belongs in a
different bug), which doesn't seem to have any way to permanently
disable from its config panel.  Took we a while to figure out how to
type at all in order to search for what I'd done -- and it was very
difficult to hold the key exactly the length required (which was very
long, much more than I'd expect would be required for someone who's
having trouble with accidental adjacent keypresses), but not long enough
to trigger autorepeat (I have the repeat delay set to the 250 ms that
used to be standard, but even the now-for-some-reason-default 500 ms or
so would probably be too short compared to the very long initial delay).

It also seems perverse that a feature that requires you to hold keys
down for a long time as part of normal use, would be disabled by holding
a certain key down for a long time.

I agree with those that say it should be disabled by default --
especially if it's not going to even ask for confirmation via a dialog
box.

  "slow keys" can turn on surreptitiously & cause confusion.

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I was editing some huge photos with the gimp and it had a swapping
  fit; I pressed various keys, clicked various things, generally did
  what any user does when an application hangs for a while.

  For some reason, gnome's "slow keys" feature turned on during all this
  chaos---presumably because gnome thought the shift key was held down
  for N seconds, I don't know---and I was totally confused when my keys
  became, predictably, "slow."

  This seems like something that could happen to dapper users. Maybe
  there should be a

    [x] Activate "slow keys" by holding down the shift key.

  config toggle that is off by default, or something...