On my system, the scrollbars are unusable because the slider is the same
colour as the background.  They seem to respond to clicks and drags in
the expected way, but of course you don't know where to click or drag if
you can't see the slider!

I am running KDE; perhaps that is the reason why I am affected by this
bug in a rather different way to the other posters.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Thunderbird 14.0 scrollbars have a wrong background [regression]

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  I have updated to Thunderbird 14.0 via the update manager recently.
  However, there is some issue with the scroll bars. They have a
  background that does not fit at all.

  Have a look at the attached screenshot.