Robert, I disagree about lightdm not touching the locale setting. If
there are other ways to login to the system, fine. That doesn't prevent
to read .dmrc which has the correct locale selected by the user.

Packages, which is subscribed to language-selector in Ubuntu.

  Sets $LANG to invalid value "de"

Status in “language-selector” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: lightdm

  When I moved from gdm to lightdm, I now get an invalid locale:

  $ locale
  locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
  locale: Kann LC_ALL nicht auf die Standard-Lokale einstellen: Datei oder
Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
  LANG=de
  LANGUAGE=de:en
  LC_CTYPE="de"
  LC_NUMERIC="de"
  LC_TIME="de"
  LC_COLLATE="de"
  LC_MONETARY="de"
  LC_MESSAGES=de_DE.UTF-8
  LC_PAPER="de"
  LC_NAME="de"
  LC_ADDRESS="de"
  LC_TELEPHONE="de"
  LC_MEASUREMENT="de"
  LC_IDENTIFICATION="de"
  LC_ALL=

  It seems it takes the "de" from my ~/.dmrc, which was set up that way by gdm:
  $ cat .dmrc
  [Desktop]
  Language=de
  Langlist=de:en
  LCMess=de_DE.UTF-8
  Layout=us
  Session=gnome

  From that, gdm sets

  LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
  LANGUAGE=de:en

  while lightdm sets
  LC_MESSAGES=de_DE.UTF-8
  LANG=de
  LANGUAGE=de:en

  I'm not entirely sure how gdm derives an appropriate $LANG locale name
  from just a language name. I'm subscribing Gunnar about this.

  BTW, I noticed that the current lightdm does not have a
  language/keyboard chooser at all any more. It used to have one a week
  or two ago?