Thanks for the regression. The problem here is that "bold:" has two
fonts since "bold" is italicised and  ":" not, so before the patch,
"bold:" is a TextWord and pdftotext get the text right, but drawing the
selection is bad since the selected ":"  would be drawn italicised.
After the patch, "bold:" gets splitted up into "bold" and ":" so it gets
drawn correctly when selected, but you have the regression you pointed
out. So, I believe I am stuck with this choice:

a). I could either allow more than one font on a TextWord, and adapt the
code that draws the TextWord to use that fact, so the  selected ":" does
not get transform to a italicised ":" when drawing it.

b) or I could fix the TextDumper to be aware of the fact in some cases
there is no space between two TextWord.

c) Do you have another way?

I think I want to take approach a) even if it could more complicated,
but approach b) seems that it could break more things that it would
fix... thinking that when doing selection by words would not work at
all. What do you think?

Packages, which is subscribed to evince in Ubuntu.

  characters change when selecting text

Status in Poppler:
  Confirmed
Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “poppler” package in Ubuntu:

  I have problems with the following pdf:
  www.lacim.uqam.ca/~plouffe/OEIS/citations/MAS-R9821.pdf

  When marking text some characters change. This happens on many places
  in this pdf-file. To reproduce the bug just mark some random places in
  the pdf. In some places the text disappears. In some the characters
  change totally. In others the italics is removed.

  I use the latest update of dapper. Evince 0.5.2