Thanks for your report.

The error occurs because the ESET module used to scan files when they
are accessed is not fully compatible with Ubuntu 12.04, as stated in the
ESET FAQ at
http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2722&ref=wsf - in
this case, it causes some programs invoked during the update to crash.

Unfortunately, the only things you could do is to wait for a new version
of ESET to be released, uninstall ESET completely or downgrade to Ubuntu
10.04 (11.04 - the latest Ubuntu version which supports ESET - is
scheduled not to be supported anymore from October 2012).

In the meantime, I recommend uninstalling ESET - the malware rate for
Linux is really low at the moment, and there is no need for an antivirus
program. In case you still want a scanner (for example, to remove
malware designed for Windows from removable media, or to scan e-mails),
I recommend ClamAV, available from the Ubuntu repositories.

As this is not an Ubuntu-related bug, I'm closing this report - feel
free to report any other bugs you may find.

** Changed in: desktop-file-utils (Ubuntu)

** Package changed: desktop-file-utils (Ubuntu) => ubuntu

Packages, which is subscribed to desktop-file-utils in Ubuntu.

  package desktop-file-utils 0.20-0ubuntu3 failed to install/upgrade:
  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
  status 132

Status in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I removed all of this to get eset to work, and I hotwired the internet
  /etc/interfaces instead of using the default packages because of
  conflictions between them and eset.  expect more of these

  ProblemType: Package
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
  Package: desktop-file-utils 0.20-0ubuntu3
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl fglrx
  Date: Sat Aug 11 04:40:53 2012
  DuplicateSignature:
   Setting up desktop-file-utils (0.20-0ubuntu3) ...
   Illegal instruction (core dumped)
   dpkg: error processing desktop-file-utils (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 132
  ErrorMessage: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error
exit status 132
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  SourcePackage: desktop-file-utils
  Title: package desktop-file-utils 0.20-0ubuntu3 failed to install/upgrade:
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 132
  mtime.conffile..etc.gnome.defaults.list: 2012-07-29T19:36:51.171670