Public bug reported:

When syncing my iPod classic 120gb, everything works fine except that
any static playlist generated on the iPod is deleted after the sync.
These playlists include On-the-Go playlists and any newly saved
playlists on the iPod itself.  Creating a playlist via right-click->New
Playlist on the iPod will allow me to create the playlist, but when I
hit 'Sync' any playlist I create will have disappeared.

All of the smart playlists that were generated via iTunes remain intact.
Playlists created in and sync'd from Rhythmbox remain intact.

The expected behavior is for Rhythmbox to leave those playlists alone
unless I explicitly delete them.

Ubuntu 12.04 x64
Rhythmbox 2.96 & 2.97
iPod Classic 120gb version 2.0.1 PC

** Affects: rhythmbox (Ubuntu)

** Tags: ipod playlist sync

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  iPod syncing in Rhythmbox deletes static playlists on iPod

Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu: