Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: firefox (Ubuntu)

  "UILocale" option in firefox commandline not working in Ubuntu Lucid
  releases

Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: firefox

  Commencing from Ubuntu Karmic version, when a language-pack base
  package is installed, the Firefox language pack extensions for the
  same language (if available) also got installed globally inside the
  directory /usr/lib/firefox-addons/extensions/

  But unlike in Karmic, the command line option of "uilocale" with
  "firefox" command for setting language localization of the browser
  does not work as expected in Lucid releases so far. (uilocale is a.k.a
  "UILocale")

  Suppose we are operating the desktop in en_US.UTF-8 locale, then the
  default launch of Firefox would also be with US-English interface. If
  we then need to continue having the desktop operated in same locale,
  but want to use Fx with say Tamil "ta" localization, then in Karmic,
  one of the following two commands could be issued from a terminal
  after first closing all opened instances of Firefox.

  1). export LANG=ta_IN && firefox

  2). firefox -uilocale ta

  However now in Ubuntu Lucid Lynx releases so far, (including Beta -2
  with Firefox latest 3.6.3), the command usage with the "-uilocale"
  option does not work. If that command usage is entered, it only
  launches the browser in the language of the locale from which the
  browser is launched. I have tested with other languages too such as
  Sinhala (si) and Hindi (hi) and find the same result in each case, as
  if the "uilocale" command line option is no longer supported (though
  the help request "firefox -h" in Lucid still lists short description
  of "UILocale" option)

  The correct functioning of the "uilocale" option(as it was in Karmic
  which is as per generic scheme of Mozilla Firefox), would be of good
  use for the following reason:

  Command line usage with uilocale option is more convenient for novice
  users to put in a launcher - for example I can use separate profiles
  for English, Tamil and Sinhala (say profiles foo1, foo2 foo3
  respectively) and in Karmic , have 3 separate launchers for following
  commands respectively:

  firefox -P foo1 -no-remote -uilocale en
  firefox -P foo2 -no-remote -uilocale ta
  firefox -P foo3 -no-remote -uilocale si

  These if launched at same time, then each is an independent instance
  providing localized interface as according to the uilocale option it
  was launched with and also be independent of the language locale from
  which it is launched

  But now in the absence of a working "uilocale" option  in Lucid, for a
  particular language localization, the corresponding command could be
  only with preceding "export LANG=...."; and such form cannot be
  directly inserted into a launcher but has to be put in a shell script
  file and have that as script file name as command in the launcher.
  That is, more work and less convenient situation in Lucid for novice
  users.

  Therefore I request that the functionality of the firefox commandline
  option of "uilocale" to be restored.

  K. Sethu