Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

  gnome-display-properties mismatched RandR extension version

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  When trying to use gnome-display-properties either through
System->Preferences->Monitors or through command typed into terminal, it always
displays: "Could not get screen information, RANDR extension is too old (must
be at least 1.2)" in a pop-up window.  When invoked from the command line, I
also get the following messages in the terminal window:
  "(gnome-display-properties:6825): Gtk-WARNING **: Ignoring the separator
setting"

  "(gnome-display-properties:6825): Gtk-WARNING **: No object called: "

  I typed "xrandr -v" and get:
  xrandr program version       1.3.2
  Server reports RandR version 1.1

  When I try apt-get install x11-xserver-utils (which is supposed to
  contain xrandr) it tells me it is already at the current version.

  rick@deuce:~$ sudo apt-get install x11-xserver-utils
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  x11-xserver-utils is already the newest version.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:2.30.1-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-39.86-server 2.6.32.56+drm33.22
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-39-server x86_64
  Architecture: amd64