You have to be kidding me. Did you mark this bug invalid?

Did you even read it?

That is NOT acceptable behavior for apport.

It should say something if that is what it's going to do.

There is no message to the user whatsoever.

If I didn't know how to dig through the apport logs I'd never even know
what happened.

** Changed in: apport (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  Apport silently fails to file bug reports

Status in “apport” package in Ubuntu:

  I've had lots of problems since installing 12.04, but managed to work
  around most of them and install fixes whenever they were finally
  released. It probably would have sped things up a great deal however,
  if apport had been there to help me. Unfortunately it hasn't about 80%
  of the time.

  Apport often pops up to ask me about a "system error" of one kind or
  another, and if I'd like to file a bug report. Most often I say yes,
  leave the box checked and click continue.

  Apport gets through the "gathering information" phase, and asks for
  final confirmation to send the report, while informing me that I will
  be taken to launchpad to provide further details.

  I never get taken to launchpad.

  The bug report is never filed.

  The gathered info is probably lost.

  This is happening MOST OF THE TIME with bugs caught by apport. On at
  least one occasion I was able to find the bundle of info apport
  collected wherein I discovered that reporting the bug had been
  cancelled for some reason.

  1. I would REALLY like to be informed when my bug report will be
  denied and WHY.

  2. Apport should never refuse to file a bug report, ever. That is
  extremely discouraging to helpless users who are experiencing real
  problems when the computer says "Sorry, no I just won't help you."
  which is exactly what apport is saying when it won't file a bug. At
  the very least apport should lead the user through steps to get the
  bug ready for reporting or to find an already reported bug like what
  they are experiencing.

  I have noticed a disturbing trend in Launchpad to dismiss inconvienient bugs.

  This is a rather inconvenient bug, as fixing it may mean a lot of new
  bug reports.

  It also means more satisfied users.

  Do not let this bug suffer the fate of bug 178398 or bug 313436.
  Both bugs closed for lack of information and lack of response from the
reporter.

  Whoever reported those bugs probably gave up on Ubuntu and went
  elswhere.

  This is not an invalid or unimportant bug.

  It is a real bug, and it is critical.

  Package: apport 2.0.1-0ubuntu12
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportLog: