I've written a patch that fixes this. It's a one-line change, only
changing which constructor is called - it was calling the one for
ComboBox instead of ComboBoxText; from my log reading, that change was
probably done accidentally during an API change.

This patch is written on top of current git master, so should be easily
upstreamable, but also works on top of the package currently in LMDE
latest (3.2.0-1). (I tested that by adding the patch to
debian/patches/series and rebuilding, which succeded, and the resulting
package has this fixed.)

** Patch added: "Simple patch that fixes the bug."

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/998445/+attachment/3270116/+files/0001-entry-Fix-the-ComboBoxText-construction-so-the-dropm.patch

Packages, which is subscribed to zenity in Ubuntu.

  ComboBoxText does not work anymore

Status in The Linux Mint Distribution:
  New
Status in “zenity” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “zenity” package in Debian:

  Hi,

  This command does not work anymore :
  zenity --entry --title "Window title" --text "Insert your choice." a b c d

  I have for reponse :
  (zenity:21976): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GtkComboBox' to
`GtkComboBoxText'
  (zenity:21976): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_combo_box_text_insert: assertion
`GTK_IS_COMBO_BOX_TEXT (combo_box)' failed
  x 4

  and the list is empty...

  this command worked very well under Oneiric.

  apt-cache policy zenity => 3.4.0-0ubuntu4
  lsb_release -rd => Ubuntu 12.04 LTS