On 22.08.2012 00:00, Johannes Rohr wrote:
> Indeed, this issue is caused by wrong permissions.
>
> in  /var/lib/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log it said:
>
> ** (process:2235): WARNING **: Error reading existing Xauthority: Error
> opening file: Permission denied
> Error writing X authority: Error opening file '/var/lib/lightdm/.Xauthority':
> Permission denied
>
> And indeed, For some unkown reason, the files in /var/lib/ligthdm were
> owned by user speech-dispacher, group rtkit. After changing the owner of
> the files inside the directory to lightdm:lightdm, things work just
> fine.

A simple "sudo chown -R /var/lib/lightdm lightdm" fixed the issue for
me. I am just wondering why "sudo apt-get purge lightdm && sudo apt-get
install lightdm" didn't resolve this...

Whatever, seems to be caused by me always using developer releases. The
issue is gone for me now :)

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  When using lightdm X starts in low-graphics-mode

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  When using lightdm as default displaymanager X ends up with a dialog
  that tells me its in low graphics mode. If I then click on "run in low
  graphics mode" gdm starts up..

  Lightdm used to work fine for me in oneiric.