Public bug reported:

Using up to date 12.10. Despite having having the group password saved,
I am being prompted to enter both my user password and the group
password upon initiating a VPN connection. This is a new issue with
12.10. Thinking this might be related to the the 12.04 to 12.10 upgrade
I have tried creating a new VPN account with the same results. VPN type
is "Cisco Compatible VPN(vpnc)"

** Affects: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  VPN prompting for both the user and group password

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu: