I've tried to reproduce this bug and for me it's not happening as
described.

What does happen, however, with 100% reliability, is that the actions
are disabled when switching away from the window and back to it again.
In the case of triggering actions like "Open" or "About" this would
indeed cause the foreground window to be changed (to the open or about
dialog).  This is probably a unity-panel-service bug (probably in the
appmenu indicator).

For me, the bug does not happen with other actions like copy/paste that
do not display new windows....

  Menu bar in Unity is disabled

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu Release:  Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal beta1
  Package version: libreoffice-gtk
  Package version: 1:3.6.1~rc2-1ubuntu3

  Behavior: Triggering an action from the menu, i.e. opening a file ,
  turns the menu into disabled state. This happens randomly and
  sometimes also without any action triggers.

  This is a new issue we have discovered in the latest versions of
  Unity/Gtk+. This wrong behavior is not present in precise pangolin and
  Quantal Alpha 3. Can someone please confirm if this is an issue in
  Unity/Gtk+?