AFAIK, icu2 is now multi-platform, linux, mac, and windows, via a web
based system I guess. I don't use it anymore so not sure if the webcams
work. My guess is it does, without wine.Just heard this from friends.
Haven't tried it. Webpage is video.icu2.com to get the multiplatform
site. Anyone try it out?

 iSpQ is version 9.2 or will be shortly. They are multi-platform also,
using windows and mac only. Their webpage is www.ispq.com. I still use
it in win7 only. Haven't tried recently ( a few years ) to use wine and
my Logitech 9000 webcam. If wine supports the webcam and ispq I will
install it, and never go back to windows. So I hope this bug stays open
and others can comment on the use of webcams and ispq and other video
conferencing programs. Thanks.

Packages, which is subscribed to gst-plugins-good0.10 in Ubuntu.

  needed: libv4l and associated application patches (or "gspca stopped
  working in 2.6.27")

Status in Adobe Flash Plugin Tools:
  Won't Fix
Status in Cheese Camera Application:
  Unknown
Status in Ekiga Voice Over IP Suite:
  Fix Released
Status in The Mozilla Firefox Browser:
  Invalid
Status in GStreamer Plugins (Good):
  Fix Released
Status in The GStreamer Multimedia Framework:
  Fix Released
Status in KDE Non-Linear Video Editor:
  Fix Released
Status in Kopete:
  Fix Released
Status in Medibuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in Open Source Computer Vision library:
  Unknown
Status in VLC media player:
  Fix Released
Status in Wine:
  Confirmed
Status in “amsn” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “came” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “camorama” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “camstream” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “cheese” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “ekiga” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “gst-plugins-good0.10” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “libv4l” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in “mplayer” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “pwlib” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “vlc” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “xawtv” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “amsn” source package in Lucid:
  New
Status in “came” source package in Lucid:
  New
Status in “camorama” source package in Lucid:
  New
Status in “camstream” source package in Lucid:
  New
Status in “cheese” source package in Lucid:
  Invalid
Status in “ekiga” source package in Lucid:
  New
Status in “gst-plugins-good0.10” source package in Lucid:
  New
Status in “libv4l” source package in Lucid:
  New
Status in “mplayer” source package in Lucid:
  New
Status in “pwlib” source package in Lucid:
  New
Status in “vlc” source package in Lucid:
  New
Status in “xawtv” source package in Lucid:
  New
Status in “amsn” source package in Intrepid:
  Fix Released
Status in “came” source package in Intrepid:
  Fix Released
Status in “camorama” source package in Intrepid:
  Invalid
Status in “camstream” source package in Intrepid:
  Invalid
Status in “cheese” source package in Intrepid:
  Invalid
Status in “ekiga” source package in Intrepid:
  Invalid
Status in “gst-plugins-good0.10” source package in Intrepid:
  Fix Released
Status in “libv4l” source package in Intrepid:
  Fix Released
Status in “mplayer” source package in Intrepid:
  Won't Fix
Status in “pwlib” source package in Intrepid:
  Fix Released
Status in “vlc” source package in Intrepid:
  Won't Fix
Status in “xawtv” source package in Intrepid:
  Fix Released
Status in “camorama” package in Debian:
  Fix Released
Status in “gst-plugins-good0.10” package in Fedora:
  Fix Released
Status in “pwlib” package in Fedora:
  Fix Released
Status in “xawtv” package in Fedora:

  libv4l is a user-space library used by several applications in order
  to convert webcam streams in user-space instead of kernel-space. As
  gspca is included in 2.6.27 this is needed in order to (re)support a
  multitude of webcams supported with ordinary applications.

  See http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/3636.html for a more complete
  description of the software.

  The latest version is 0.4.0 and is available from
  http://people.atrpms.net/~hdegoede/