Just looking back at this. This one should be fixed now in the following
version (and later) of Software Center in Quantal. Steve, please let me
know if you can still reproduce this (I can't seem to). And thanks!!

software-center (5.3.4) quantal; urgency=low

  [ Michael Vogt ]
  * lp:~mvo/software-center/fix-lp1009039:
    - fix treeview selection background (LP: #1009039)
  * lp:~mvo/software-center/fix-lp1011522:
    - fix bug where clicking on "Reinstall previous purchases" twice
      shows endless spinner (LP: #1011522)
  * lp:~mvo/software-center/click_url:
    - adds support for a "click_url" from the exhibits banner to
      support banners for things like the humble-bundle where we
      don't have packages but URLs (LP: #1020205)
  * lp:~mvo/software-center/webkit-http-debug:
    - enable full http output debugging for webkit
  * lp:~mvo/software-center/fix-get-set-gobject-data:
    - fixes a leftover use of "GObject.{get,set}_data()" that is
      no longer supported by python-gi in quantal

  [ Natalia Bidart ]
  * lp:~nataliabidart/software-center/winged-migration:
    - merged gtk sso login code to ensure we have a consistent UI
      when ubuntu-sso-client drops its gtk version

 -- Michael Vogt <michael.v...@ubuntu.com>  Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:27:14
+0200

** Changed in: software-center (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: software-center (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: Gary Lasker (gary-lasker) => (unassigned)

Packages, which is subscribed to software-center in Ubuntu.

  SW Center UI stuck on spinning wheel after cancelling sign-in on a
  reinstall previous purchases

Status in “software-center” package in Ubuntu:

  Several events led me to a failed installation in the software center
  (bug 1000262 has some details). SW center was showing the screen for
  the app I tried to purchase/install (Command & Conquer Tiberium
  Alliances). From that screen I clicked "Reinstall Previous Purchases"
  from the FIle menu. I was presented with a screen asking me to login
  to Launchpad. I chose cancel instead of logging in to LP.

  Expected results:
  I expected to see either the screen I was looking at (the app I was looking
at previously) or the home page of SW center

  Actual results:
  The main SW center UI was cleared out, no longer showing the screen for my
app. Instead it's a blank, grey panel with the large spinning 'wait' cursor
(see attached screenshot). It's stuck in this state, and has been for a couple
minutes. The app clearly isn't going to do anything on its own, despite the
wait cursor.

  To get SW center out of this state I clicked the "Installed" button then the
"All Software" button. The UI is now back to normal. The UI was never blocked,
it just wasn't doing anything.

  Package: software-center 5.2.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Date: Wed May 16 10:45:15 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Beta amd64 (20100901.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: software-center
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-01-26 (110 days ago)