This is because the "Available to all users" checkbox needs to be
unticked when the connection is created. Once it's already there; you
will need administrative access to change it since opening up the dialog
could allow you to see the WLAN password.

As an alternative; edit the connection as the user that created it (the
administrator user), or ask an administrator to toggle the setting.

If you mean creating a new wireless network from the menu items when you
click nm-applet; then this policy has always been in place: to create
system-wide (available to all users) connections, you need administrator
rights.

What changed is that connections are available to all users by default,
because we create them in a different manner which is much easier to
maintain and above all, allows the connections to be saved (backed up)
and restored. This is not going to change.

If you need to have access to create such connections, you may wish to either
give yourself administrator access if this is your machine and a conscious
decision, or ask the administrator to adjust the policykit policies on the
affected system. The policy to change would be:
"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system"
(which means Modify network connections for all users)

It can be changed by adding a file to
/var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/ with contents such as:

[Changing system-wide NetworkManager connections]
Identity=unix-user:myusername
Action=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system
ResultActive=yes

See also
/var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla.

Thanks!

  Administrator password for WLAN-connections?

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  In Ubuntu 10.04 a normal user could connect to new WLANs. In 12.04
  (with Unity) a question for admin password comes up with this action.
  I think, connecting to new WLANs should stay a right of normal users.
  I cannot be with them everytime, or I cannot give them the admin
  password.