I only see the problem if after the apostrophe there are one or more white
spaces.
For example, "a'b.txt" is ok, but "a' b.txt" or "a' b c.txt" are not.

It seems that the path gets broken at every white space after the first
apostrophe. Gedit, for example, will try to open the following files instead of
"/tmp/test' b' c":
 - "/tmp/test'" (notice the trailing apostrophe)
 - "~/b'"
 - "~/c"

  [regression] Cannot open files whose paths contain apostrophes

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  When the containing directory name contains an apostrophe, launching a
  file in either the default or a specific viewer fails.

  For example, I have photos in a directory whose full path is
  "/media/abentley/ED1T/Pictures/2012/Trisha's 40th birthday".
  Attempting to launch the file by double-clicking launches Gnome Image
  Viewer, which errors with "The given locations contain no images."

  Launching the file in Firefox attempts to load the URL
  "file:///media/abentley/ED1T/Pictures/2012/Trisha%27s".

  Launching the file in Chromium attempts to load the URL
  "file:///media/abentley/ED1T/Pictures/2012/Trisha's"

  The same problem happens if the filename, itself, contains an
  apostrophe.  Launching "/home/abentley/Music/lossy-copies/Core/Graydon
  James and the Young Novelists/In the Year You Were Born/01-I Was a
  Young Man's Son.ogg" starts up Totem, which says "An error occurred:
  Location not found."