On 2012-08-11 00:46, Steve Langasek wrote:> The output of language-selector is
also very different from the output
> of ubiquity:  whereas ubiquity only sets the LANG variable, language-
> selector outputs the full range of LC_* variables as well as LANG and
> LANGUAGE.  I don't know of any specific bugs resulting from this, but I
> have seen bug reports in the past related to LC_* variables and I'm
> concerned that this inconsistency will cause confusing behavior in some
> cases.

Unlike the UI of language-selector, the UI of ubiquity is not designed
to distinguish between language and regional format or populate the
LANGUAGE environment variable. Rather than considering this to be an
inconsistency, so far I have thought that ubiquity sets the minimum
needing to proceed, while language-selector provides an interface to
fine-tune the language and regional format settings.

For an explanation of the current design of language-selector, you may
want to read

yelp ghelp:language-selector

Packages, which is subscribed to language-selector in Ubuntu.

  language-selector updates /etc/environment when it shouldn't, and
  gives results that are inconsistent with an initial install

Status in “language-selector” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “language-selector” source package in Precise:
  Triaged
Status in “language-selector” source package in Quantal:

  To debug bug #1034806, I configured Russian locale support using
  language-selector.  Afterwards I noticed that both /etc/environment
  and /etc/default/locale had been populated with the set of environment
  variables.  This is wrong, language-selector should *only* be updating
  /etc/default/locale: all pam_env-enabled services are supposed to read
  from both /etc/environment and /etc/default/locale, precisely so that
  /etc/default/locale can be used as the *one* file on the system where
  default locale settings are specified.

  The output of language-selector is also very different from the output
  of ubiquity:  whereas ubiquity only sets the LANG variable, language-
  selector outputs the full range of LC_* variables as well as LANG and
  LANGUAGE.  I don't know of any specific bugs resulting from this, but
  I have seen bug reports in the past related to LC_* variables and I'm
  concerned that this inconsistency will cause confusing behavior in
  some cases.

  Package: language-selector-gnome 0.84
  ApportVersion: 2.4-0ubuntu6
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Aug 10 15:39:57 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64
(20100816.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: language-selector
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-06-11 (60 days ago)