   gdm fails on initial boot, due to broken initial VT switching.

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm in Ubuntu.

  gdm does not start after bootup

Status in “gdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gdm

  Hi,

  This is not the same bug as #430494.

  What happens is that the system boots and when gdm is started my
  screen goes blank.

  The keyboard does not respond to input, it is not possible for me to
  switch to any other virtual terminal.

  I can successfully boot into 'single' user mode and after (many)
  reboots have discovered that if I include the word 'text' on the
  command line, this prevents the gdm service from being started by
  upstart.

  I believe there are a number of problems.
  1. gdm hitting an assertion and dying
  2. upstart noticing that gdm has died and respawning it (or not respawning it
-- hard to tell as the system is unresponsive in a normal bootup)

  When I have the 'text' keyword on the kernel command line, I can boot
  to normal multiuser mode. From there I can see try to run gdm, which
  upstart runs. It logs the fact that "gdm main process ended,
  respawning" and eventually "gdm respawning too fast, stopped". I am,
  however, able to successfully launch gdm (and then login and work
  normally) by running 'gdm' as root. Which places the problem squarely
  in between the interaction upstart and gdm.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386