@Dave Lentz . Thank-you for your response. I will remove the line as
suggested. I won't have access to the machine for a few days now but
would welcome any other suggestions or instructions to provide more
reports if requested.

I should also mention I have also tried a variety of other suggestions
and followed other instructions as supplied by the Ubuntu Community
covering Sound bugs/problem eg checking for mute in alsamixer.
reinstalling alsa/pulse.

And I will confirm that this problem has only happened

But I had already covered most of the bases through my own experiences
in the past. Usually I have managed to resolve issues logically and
methodically over the YEARS when this_similar Sound problems have
occured...but this has really thrown me. Nothing obvious to me has
worked. And chose to throw in this bug as it appeared very recently
after minimal updating. And has not been resolved with a complete wipe
of hard drive, reinstallation of 12.04 with a Canonical_LoCo provided
readymade disc.

One positive observation was that an addition_plugin to pulse
controller( the pauv_thingy) was that the system acknowledge that sound
was being played(using youtube) and the level indicator demonstrated
this with a moving bar pulsing to beats.

Sorry not a very good description... but it gave me some reassurance
that sound data was being processed yet not being produced audibly, from
the speakers.

Finally. May I ask if the descriptor of the bug is correct?
I am reporting that the onboard speakers no longer produce sound.
However sound IS produced if I use a usb powered speaker set through the
headphones jack socket.

I admit I was a bit confused as what to put whilst filling out the
apport requests. My bad. :/

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  [, Analog Devices ID 1981, Green Speaker, Internal] No sound at all

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:

  no sound

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-30.48-generic-pae 3.2.27
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-30-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
  AplayDevices:
   card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
     Subdevices: 1/1
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu13
  Architecture: i386
  ArecordDevices:
   **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
   card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
     Subdevices: 1/1
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  z          2049 F.... pulseaudio
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xe4624000 irq 46'
     Mixer name : 'Analog Devices ID 1981'
     Components : 'HDA:11d41981,103c30d8,00100200
HDA:11c11040,103c1378,00100200'
     Controls      : 5
     Simple ctrls  : 3
  CurrentDmesg:
   [   18.584837] e1000e 0000:00:19.0: eth0: 10/100 speed: disabling TSO
   [   18.585047] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
   [   27.296050] eth2: no IPv6 routers present
   [   29.552030] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
  Date: Sun Sep 16 05:52:46 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386
(20120423)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:Intel failed
  Symptom_Card: Built-in Audio - HDA Intel
  Symptom_DevicesInUse:
   2049/dev/snd/controlC0:  z         F.... pulseaudio
   AND
  Symptom_Jack: Green Speaker, Internal
  Symptom_Type: No sound at all
  Title: [, Analog Devices ID 1981, Green Speaker, Internal] No sound at all
  dmi.bios.date: 01/10/2008
  dmi.bios.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
  dmi.bios.version: 68MDU Ver. F.09
  dmi.board.name: 30D8
  dmi.board.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
  dmi.board.version: KBC Version 83.0E
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: CNU8230X0J
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnHewlett-Packard:bvr68MDUVer.F.09:bd01/10/2008:svnHewlett-Packard:pn:pvrF.09:rvnHewlett-Packard:rn30D8:rvrKBCVersion83.0E:cvnHewlett-Packard:ct10:cvr:
  dmi.product.version: F.09
  dmi.sys.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
  mtime.conffile..etc.modprobe.d.alsa.base.conf: 2012-09-16T04:58:05.301836