Following can be a different bug, but I hope that this is likely to be the same
bug:
1. Open Thunderbird
2. Open account settings *from HUD* (it is needed to open it from HUD and NOT
from Thunderbird overview page)
3. Try to expand some dropdown menu (e.g. "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" or "Server
Settings / Connection Security").

The same proglem appears. The dropdown men does not expand. Since both
Firefox and Thunderbird are Gecko-based and there are similar Ubuntu
add-ons, I hope this is related.

  firefox dropdown menus break after url launched from dash

Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:

  To reproduce:

  1. Use the Dash to locate a URL. I used the bookmarks-lens but there are
probably other ways.
  2. Select the URL and Firefox will open it in a tab.
  3. Close that tab.
  4. Notice that dropdown menus such as the search engine selector or even the
completion dropdowns on the awesome bar or the search box stop working.

  This happens when running in safe mode as well.

  As I said above it happens with the bookmarks-lens and with my simple
  python favorites-lens https://github.com/gbishop/favorites-lens but I
  don't think the problem is in the lens. Either lens is simply
  providing Unity with a URL.

  I assume Unity is supplying the URL to Firefox with something akin to
  xdg-open. But xdg-open does not cause this problem.

  I don't see any messages in the terminal nor in the error console when
  this is happening.

  Package: firefox 14.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-26.41-generic-pae 3.2.19
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-26-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu11
  Architecture: i386