My bug appears to be the same as LO Bug 52610 - FILESAVE particular
document as .docx (Office Open): Can not be opened with other office
software . I'll try to do some testing with their latest beta which
includes a fix, and will update this bug with the results. It's
reportedly fixed in 3.5.7

  Save as DOCX results in improper XML document

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  1) lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.10

  2) apt-cache policy libreoffice-writer
  libreoffice-writer:
    Installed: 1:3.6.1~rc2-1ubuntu5
    Candidate: 1:3.6.1~rc2-1ubuntu5
    Version table:
   *** 1:3.6.1~rc2-1ubuntu5 0
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  3) What is expected to happen is when one opens the following via a
  terminal:

  cd ~/Desktop && wget -c

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/1053484/+attachment/3325384/+files/EnvS%20243%20Assignment%203.odt
  -O example.odt && lowriter --nologo example.odt

  and save the document as a .docx (Microsoft Office XML) file, it opens
  successfully in Microsoft Word 2012.

  4) What happens instead is it complains:
  The file Envs243.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the
contents. [Details] The name in the end tag of the element must match the
element type in the start tag. Location: Part: /word/document.xml, Line: 2,
Column: 24292

  I've confirmed with an XML editor (Jaxe) that document.xml does in fact have
invalid XML. Its complaint is similar:
  The element type w:p must be terminated by a corresponding end-tag </w:p> at
line 2.