Gareth,

I'm not convinced this is the same issue, as killing off gnome-keyring
should have made the icon appear. Unfortunately, as there is no
timestamp in .xsession-errors, it's not possible to know in which order
the above three messages showed up.

Could you please tell me what was the original session type you were in
before switching to gnome-session-fallback? The messages you saw
indicate nm-applet was switching to using GtkStatusIcons, which just
shouldn't happen unless you're in a session type that doesn't support
indicators (e.g. Xubuntu in the XFCE session, without the indicator
widget).

** Changed in: network-manager-applet (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: network-manager-applet (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  no network icon after upgrade to oneiric

Status in “network-manager-applet” package in Ubuntu:

  after upgrading to oneiric, I have no network icon in my indicator
  area anymore.  network-manager is running and working (both wired and
  wireless), but I can't select networks etc. without an indicator
  applet/icon/whatever.

  I tried killing and restarting nm-applet, but it simply runs with no
  output.

  Package: network-manager-gnome 0.9.0-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-9-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  Date: Fri Sep  2 16:55:23 2011
  IpRoute:
   default via 10.0.1.1 dev eth0  proto static
   10.0.1.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.0.1.136
   169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0  scope link  metric 1000
  NetworkManager.state:
   [main]
   NetworkingEnabled=true
   WirelessEnabled=true
   WWANEnabled=true
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/usr/bin/zsh
  SourcePackage: network-manager-applet
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-09-02 (0 days ago)
  WpaSupplicantLog: