I don't remember when this was fixed, but Empathy has long switched back
to using color status icons, and the messaging menu now uses color
status icons too.

** Changed in: ubuntu-mono (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Unable to tell who's online based on mono icons

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “ubuntu-mono” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: empathy

  I'm using Maverick. The new mono status icons for Empathy do not allow
  me (with mild colour blindness) to distinguish between
  online/away/offline etc. friends. I suggest either switching back to
  the old icons or drawing the respective symbols in a dark colour on
  the icon instead of white. If any more information is needed, I will
  happily provide it.