The fast user switch applet is obsolete and no longer supported.

** Changed in: gdm (Ubuntu)
       Status: Incomplete => Invalid

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to gdm in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/326916

Title:
  Fast-user-switch-applet doesn't work with multiseat

Status in GDM: The Gnome Display Manager:
  Incomplete
Status in “gdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: fast-user-switch-applet

  I have configured multiseat / multiterminal on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy using
  following FAQ

  http://wpkg.org/Configuring_multiseat_X_workstation

  and it works like a charm with one exception and that is fast user
  switching. My configuration is 2 NVidia Geforce2 MX cards (one AGP,
  one PCI) with nvidia proprietary driver and two Microsoft Wireless
  Optical Desktop sets (wireless mouse and keyboard) both hooked up via
  USB. The only problem I have encountered is that fast-user-switching
  applet always lock the terminal when somebody uses it.

  If user is logged in and he clicks on his name to see the pulldown
  menu with user list and clicks on another name in the  list then the
  screen turns black and nothing else can be done on that terminal. The
  only recourse is from the other terminal to kill the Xorg process of
  the logged in user or restart computer.

  If use clicks on the System->Quit->Switch user then a popup dialog
  appears to select "X server to start". This means the switching of
  users is not aware of multiterminal since it should just switch in the
  current X server. If I even select the correct X server I get to the
  Login screen (in my case with user chooser where I see name of users
  and I see that there is a logged in user on this terminal) but the
  terminal is frozen and user cannot choose another user, cannot type
  password and cannot even switch back to the same user which is already
  logged in.

  Please let me know if there is any information which would help you in
  solving this issue. I would be very happy to provide it to you and
  help troubleshooting. I am very happy with my multiterminal setup and
  it was extremely easy to get it working but the only way to currently
  use it for multiple users is that user has to always log out before
  another user can log in .

  Also since there is no option to disable user switching (see the
  following bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-system-
  tools/+bug/185599) and no option to gracefully logout user by another
  user, if users are distracted or they are not educated that the user
  switching doesn't work, it is very easy to lock up the terminal which
  requires to kill the xorg process or restart the computer.

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gdm/+bug/326916/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to