I can confirm this bug in Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) 64 bit
I'm using gnome-shell 3.4.

when I close Rhythmbox clicking the X in the window the music doesn't stop!
Of course if I check the process list I see :
 ps xf | grep rhythmbox
14869 pts/0    S+     0:00      \_ grep rhythmbox
14627 ?        Sl     0:16 rhythmbox

** Package changed: unity (Ubuntu) => rhythmbox (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  Closing Rhythmbox doesn't close Rhythmbox and causes confusing key-
  binding behavior

Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu:

  This is a problem I am experiencing in Quantal right now. Here is how
  to trigger it:

   1. I load Pithos and start listening to music. My track change and
start/pause key-bindings work great.
   2. I load Rhythmbox to listen to a song on my computer. I stop Pithos
playing and start playing Rhythmbox.
   3. With two media players open my key-bindings only seem to apply to one
player, so I close Rhythmbox (clicking the X in the window).
   4. The window is not actually closed and my key-bindings still affect
Rhythmbox - this is confusing as I see no icon on my Launcher.

  Package: unity 6.2.0-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-8-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.4-0ubuntu6
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Mon Aug 13 21:20:01 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386
(20120423)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)